To be considered a candidate for a new sports club, an organization must meet the criteria outlined below. The Sport Clubs Council, with guidance from professional staff, has the discretion to determine if the following criteria have been met.
The Club must:
- be physical and athletic in nature.
- show the existence of a national or regional governing body.
- maintain a schedule against outside competition.
- have access to a safe, suitable practice venue for the sport.
- ensure that the chosen venue has capacity for future growth.
Candidates must demonstrate the following:
- be registered with the Office of Student Activities.
- have enough members to field a team for a team sport and at least ten active members.
- actively promote their sport to the general student body.
- financial stability through fundraising and other sources of revenue.